So we’re expecting baby number 3 and it will be our second to be born in Dubai. Unlike the UK, here in Dubai you can choose your consultant and hospital… in fact you can choose your entire health care provider and package. Whilst this is amazing to be in complete control it’s also a little daunting as there are so many options available… Keep reading to see my list of things to consider, which hospital we’ve decided to choose and why!
I remember when we found out we were pregnant with Ellis. We’d only just moved to Dubai and everything was a little overwhelming. Knowing what I know now I most definitely would not have stayed with my ob/gyn or the hospital. But at the time, I didn’t know any better, I didn’t know I could change consultants or hospitals and in all honestly I felt a little pressured and overwhelmed by everything from the admin, insurance and just how different the health care system is here compared to the UK.
Fast forward a year and a half and we’re expecting our third baby! This baby will be our second to be born in Dubai and I’m more more confident in my decision making as well as awareness around what to look for and things to consider. I’ve made a little list of things that might be helpful for other expecting couples when deciding on a hospital. The list covers big and small considerations all of which had some weight to the decision making process on which hospital we chose this time round!
What to Consider When Choosing a Hospital
- Where is it? How far is it? How long will it take to get there during peak and off peak traffic.
- Parking? Valet? Free? On street or underground.
- Emergency facilities, C-section deliveries and on site NICU etc
- Mid wife team? Meet them and get a feel for who they are and if you would feel comfortable under their care. Quality trained and empathetic or robotic and procedure/schedule driven?
- Baby feeding policy? Is formula feeding an option and provided or just breastfeeding?
- Is admin, payment office and birth registration on site?
- Pre and post natal care packages? For mum and baby!
- Covid restrictions and protocol
- Bed in the room for partners?
- Visiting hours/policy?
- Birth rooms and options? Water birth etc.
Why We Chose Kings College Hospital Dubai
We took into consideration the points above and for us out of all the hospitals Kings came out on top! I honestly feel that the hospital experience can massively impact the start of a babies journey in life not to mention the parents experience too. Everything from pre natal care and appointments to the birth itself and after care for both mother and baby. Kings ticked all the boxes for us and here’s just a few reasons why…
- British and multinational midwifery team, all working to UK standards.
- Free valet parking
- Gourmet food & Starbucks coffee in reception.
- Fully equipped NICU unit. No need to transfer hospitals should there be any issues.
- Emergency 24/7 delivery room with C-section facilities should they be required.
- Formula feeding option and milk provided
- Anti natal classes
- Personalised Birth Wishes consultation
- Post natal care for mother and baby including weigh ins, just like a you would get in the UK.
- Post natal home visit package is also available.
- Easy admin birth registry process, this is usually a job for the dads but it helps when the process is easy
- Car seat check before you leave the hospital
- A good selection of highly recommended Ob/gyns
- 15-20 minutes from home, maybe 30 with traffic.
- Covid restrictions and protocol in place
- Spacious, clean and airy, lots of natural light which I really liked in the maternity ward.
- Water and hypnobirthing options.
Kings College Hospital Maternity Tour
So I checked out the hospital facilities again just to double check I was happy with everything and I was. Watch the video to see the labour and maternity ward tour. There are VIP rooms available and I’ll hopefully be touring and sharing these soon.
VIP Rooms at Kings
As promised… here’s the VIP room tour. I won’t want to go home after staying here… it’s better than most hotels! Watch the video to take a look!
The Right Decision For You
Everyone has different preferences and the good thing about Dubai is that you’re in control and can choose where you want to go! Take your time, research and make sure you’re 100% happy! Kings for us is perfect and we can’t wait to welcome baby no3 there!
More like this…
Sign up to my monthly newsletter to get exclusive giveaways, discount codes and what’s on guides. Simply fill in the form below… It’s free and has a no spam policy. Just one email a month… well, two if you win something!
One thought on “Deciding Where to Give Birth in Dubai”
We had baby number 3 at King’s last May. It’s a fabulous hospital and the team is really good too. All the best to you and your number 3 🙂
Comments are closed.